Diplomate Of The National Board
DNB in Ophthalmology is offered through National Board of Examinations.
Duration: Three years for Primary DNB and two years for Secondary DNB
Session commences: July each year.
Places available: Two for Primary and Two for Secondary.
Qualifications: MBBS with DNB-CET for Primary, DO for Secondary DNB.
Selection: Through DNB only.
This program trains eye surgeons in this cutting-edge method of cataract surgery.
Duration: 2 weeks.
Session commences: Twice a month.
Places available: Four.
Qualifications: The applicant must be an ophthalmologist proficient in cataract surgery.
Selection: Selection is done on a first-come-first served basis.
Admission Procedure: Applications for the programs should be accompanied by a curriculum vitae as well as copies of certificates.
Director of Academics & Research
Dr. AK Gupta
- Director Academics & Research
- M.B.B.S. 1993 Medical College Amritsar, Punjab University – M.S. (Ophthalmology) 1963 AIIIUS, New Delhi.
Teaching: 45 Years – Senior Resident Lecturer, Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Professor and Director -Professor at R.P. Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences, AIIMS; JIPMER& Pondicherry; PGI Rohtak; Medical College Goa; Maulana Azad Medical College New Delhi (1963 -1992)
- Dean MAMC New Delhi. (1992-1995)
- Dean Medical Faculty, University of Delhi. (1990-1992)
- Consultant World Bank- National Programme for Prevention and control of Blindness (1996-2002)
- German Academic Exchange Fellowship (1969-1971)
- Fellow National Academy of Medical Sciences (1994)
- Examiner at Undergraduate and Postgraduate exams to the Bombay, Delhi,
Universitites of Bombay, Delhi, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh, Haryana, Punjab.
- Examiner and Inspector National Board of Examination
- Chairman-Ophthalmology Research Project Committee, ICMR (2013 till date)
- Gold Medal – Best Post Graduate Studentin Ophthalmology, RP Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences – 1963
- Gold Medal – Aden Wala Oration, AIOS
- Life time Achievement Award – Bv AIOS
- 108 in National and International Journals
- British Journal of Ophthalmology
- American Journal of Ophthalmology
- Journal of Experimental Eye Research USA
- Journal of Pediatric Ophthalmology USA
- Proceedings of International Congress of Ophthalmology
Editors and Authors (Books) :
- Contemporary Perspectives in Ophthalmology (ELSEVIER, India) 2006
- Visual Field Examination (Jaypee Bros) 2007
- Ophthalmoscopic diagnosis of Retinal Diseases (Jaypee Bros) 2008
- Hand Book of clinical trials in Ophthalmology (Jaypee Bros) 2014
My main contributions in the field of ophthalmology are as given below:
- Establishment of Guru Nanak Eye Centre, New Delhi as an administrative and financially independent institution.
Setting up of this institution has resulted in the delivery of highly specialized ophthalmic services to the highly downtrodden population from Delhi and neighboring areas. Nearly 800 to 1000 patients are seen and treated free of cost in all the major subspecialities. The hospital has the most modern equipment and operation theaters.
- Guru Nanak Eye Centre is affiliated to University of Delhi for undergraduate and postgraduate education.
- Getting the deparhent of Ophthalmology, Medical College Rohtak (Haryana) as the upgraded departnent by Ministry of Healttr, Govt. of India in 1977.
- Starting and establishing postgraduate degree course in ophthalmology at Medical College Panaji Goa in 1978
- As Dean, Medical Faculty, University of Delhi, streamlined the admissions to MBBS courses and expanded the number of instifutions and courses for various medical specialities.
- As secretary, Academic and Research Committee, All India Ophthalmological Society for six years expended its activities to benefit young ophthalmologist.
- As Honorary General Secretary of All India Ophthalmological Society from 1989-1995, The working and administration of the society was completely streamlined and made transparent.
In 1994, had prepared baseline data in ophthalmic surgeons and cataract surgery in India, which was the main resource material for the World Bank Team for the “Cataract Blindness Project”.
- Evolved teaching modules in ophthalmological for DNB students. These modules have been adopted by National Board of Examinations and resulted in 100% success rates in DNB examinations at Shroff Eye Centre, Kailash Colony, New Delhi for the last ten consecutive years.
Coordinator of Academics & Research
Dr. Uma Sridhar
- Senior Consultant, Cornea and Cataract Services
- MS, DNB, FRCS (Ed) MNAMS, Fellowship Cornea and Anterior Segment – LV Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad
Areas of Interest and Expertise:
Cataract Surgery, Cornea Diagnostics and surgery, Ocular surface disorders, ocular surface tumours, dry eyes diseases, stem cell transplantation for limbal stem cell deficiencies.
- Author of “Cornea Illustrated- a guide to clinical diagnosis” text book and atlas of corneal disorders
- Editor Noida Journal of Ophthalmology 2004 to 2012
- President Noida Ophthalmic Society 2017
- More than 50 publications in local, national and international journals
- More than 50 presentations in local, national and international conferences
- Awards – 4 gold medals in MBBS
- Best video award in Delhi Ophthalmic Society 2015 and 2016
- Coauthor in 2 papers which were awarded T P Aggarwal trophy for best paper in cornea DOS 2010 and 2017
- Best guest case presentation in clinical meetings in DOS year 2016